Our Chicken Coop

Let me tell you about our chicken coop.

1-DSC_0029

If you will, remember back to the beginning of the summer where it all began… A sea can arrived at Canadian Acres.

1-DSC_0231

Sea can arriving

It was hard to imagine what the end product would look like, but we were confident that it would be a fortress of a coop no matter what it looked like.

We started by clearing out the “shop” that had inhabited the sea can for an unknown amount of time. There were cables, breakers and a large amount of aluminum to be removed. So we did just that.

1-DSC_0240

The interior being inspected by security

When it was cleared out, it was apparent that the floor needed to be sanded and repainted, that the whole interior needed a good scrub down and a fresh coat of paint.

The sea can measured 8 feet x 20 feet and we wanted to make sure we utilized the space in a smart and resourceful way.

The original plan:

1-Chicken Coop plans

We were lucky that the sea can was fully insulated, so that was one less cost for us. We made sure to spray foam insulation in all of the areas we cut into and/or covered up, including about 100 bolt holes that littered the outside of the sea can.

Clay built a partition wall to make going in and out a little easier. Dodging chickens and blocking dogs didn’t sound like a daily event I wanted to deal with. The partitioned area measured 5′ x 8′ and left the actual chicken run 120 square feet of room. Most chicken keeping resources call for at least 4 square feet per bird, so we had plenty of room for happy hens.

1-IMG_3015

Scrubbed, sanded and three coats of paint later…

We cut and installed a window we got off of an online classified for $40, allowing plenty of light and ventilation on the south facing wall.

1-IMG_2919

It took a few tries and a couple of different tools, but we got the window cut

IMG_2945

Inside, a waterer and feeder were hung from the ceiling and removable roosts were added too. All easy to clean and maintain, right up my alley! There are 3 levels of roosts measuring 4 feet each, allowing for at least 10 inches per bird if we have 14-15 birds (which is kind of what I’m going for).

1-DSC_0027

View of the interior with both exterior doors opened

1-DSC_0031

Interior chicken run

Outside, we built a run that is roughly 25 feet x 25 feet. I dug a trench (ugh) roughly 6-12 inches deep between posts to allow us to bury a length of chicken wire to help deter predators. After enclosing the run with 1 inch chicken wire, I added string to the top of the run to prevent overhead predators, namely our resident hawk that hunts in the fields daily. My friend in Alaska swears by this method as it allows a winged predator to enter easily but will not allow for an easy escape. Most predators will not enter an area that does not have an easy escape route. So with that theory in mind, I strung away!

1-IMG_3060

The trench that took a very long time to dig… damn you tree roots, damn you

1-DSC_0043

Completed outdoor run. We used fence posts and peeled log rails

1-DSC_0042

Predator “stringing”

1-DSC_0049

Looks legit

Clay cut a chicken door to allow entrance into the run and also made this predator proof when we close it at night. 

1-IMG_3064

Security checking out the handiwork

1-DSC_0047

Pretty little chicken door

1-DSC_0048

Predator proof latch

Turns out  it can also easily accommodate the size of a very helpful 7 year old.

IMG_3183

I’m pretty sure I’m in the running for Babysitter of the Year

When all was finished I painted the exterior and we added an herb garden. The only things to add are electricity for the winter months, a roof over part of the outdoor run, and the nesting boxes to gather our future eggs. The older chickens are closing in on 18 weeks (average laying start date) so it will be very exciting to see what color eggs we end up with.

All in all I’d say we spent a total of $150 on our coop, pretty thrifty if you ask me!

We’re thrilled with the outcome and the chickens seem very happy in their new home. MUCH better than my craft room I’m sure. It’s proven to be quite predator proof and even eludes the two security guards who work the perimeter diligently.

1-IMG_4006

Security proof, top middle

1-IMG_39831-IMG_3984

What do you think?

~Katy

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Our Chicken Coop

  1. I think stringing line above your chicken run will work to deter predatory birds. I saw a similar idea used to keep birds out of an area when I worked at AWWU. I hope you get eggs soon.

    • Thanks Jamie, I hope so! The idea came from Saskia, so let’s hope for the best. It’s helpful to know others are using something similar out there 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s